Supplier Diversity Initiative
State Fund protects businesses of all sizes and in all sectors by providing a fairly-priced choice for workers’ compensation insurance. This inclusive approach extends throughout our business structure, including the way we procure products and services.
Our Supplier Diversity Initiative ensures equal opportunities for businesses, including those owned by minorities, women, and disabled veterans, related to State Fund’s sourcing and contracting of products and services. Partnering with these businesses whenever possible helps State Fund achieve its vision to be the industry leader and best value, while supporting California’s entrepreneurial spirit.
State Fund’s policy is to encourage and afford opportunities to diverse suppliers, while ensuring we receive the highest quality products and services. Our Supplier Diversity Initiative is established on the principles of fair and equitable business practices and social responsibility to the community we serve. We seek opportunities to form mutually profitable relationships with diverse suppliers through teamwork and commitment to make our Supplier Diversity Initiative successful.
State Fund seeks to provide business opportunities for the following enterprises either as Tier 1 (direct) or as Tier 2 (indirect) supplier:
- Minority Business Enterprise (MBE)
- Woman Business Enterprise (WBE)
- Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise (DVBE)
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender (LGBT) Business Enterprise
Our primary objectives are:
- Actively seeking businesses who are certified as MBE, WBE, DVBE, LGBT
- Inclusion of certified MBE, WBE, DVBE, LGBT in our procurement efforts
- Supporting organizations that promote or certify MBE, WBE, DVBE, LGBT Business Enterprises
To participate in State Fund’s Supplier Diversity Initiative, a business must meet one of the following certification criteria:
- Certified by the National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC) as a Minority Business Enterprise (MBE), which is defined as a for-profit enterprise (regardless of size) that is physically located in the United States or its trust territories, and is at least 51 percent owned, operated, and controlled by a minority or minorities. Minority groups include:
- African Americans
- Hispanic Americans
- Native Americans
- Asian-Pacific Americans
- Asian-Indian Americans
- Certified by the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) as a Woman Business Enterprise (WBE), which is defined as a for-profit enterprise (regardless of size) that is physically located in the United States or its trust territories, and is at least 51 percent owned, controlled, and operated by one or more women.
- Certified by the California Department of General Services as a Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise (DVBE), which is defined as a business that is at least 51 percent owned by one or more disabled veterans and daily operations are managed and controlled by one or more disabled veterans. For certification purposes, a “disabled veteran” is:
- A veteran of the U.S. military, naval, or air service; and
- Must have a service-connected disability of at least 10 percent or more; and
- Must reside in California
Other recognized certification agencies for Service Disabled Veteran Owned Business Enterprises:
Department of Veterans Affairs’ VetBiz Registry (CVE) http://www.vetbiz.gov/.
- Certified by the National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC) as LGBT, which is defined as a business that is at least 51 percent owned, operated, managed, and controlled by an LGBT person or persons who are either U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents.
In addition to meeting one of the three above certification criteria, suppliers with products and services suitable for State Fund who wish to be considered for current and future projects, must register online in State Fund’s supplier database. Registering with State Fund as a potential supplier does not guarantee that we will contact you regarding business opportunities; it is required in order for your business to be considered for a contract with us.
To register in our supplier database, you must meet certain requirements, which can vary by product and service type and are subject to change without notice. Before you begin registering online, please have available the documentation for the following minimum requirements:
- Proof evidencing that your business is certified as a MBE, WBE, and/or DVBE.
Proof that your company has the capacity and has performed similar work or evidence of equivalent experience over the last two (2) years.
Ability to provide three (3) references from past and current customers wherein services were provided similar to those proposed to State Fund. Reference shall include the name of the company, the nature of the services performed, and the name, current telephone, and email address of a contact person.
A U.S. Federal Taxpayer ID number or country equivalent taxpayer identification (W9 and Form 590).
Ability to collect and pay appropriate sales tax and other taxes to proper agencies.
A license to do business in the State of California.
- Workers’ Compensation statutory limits
- Employer’s Liability with limits no less than $1 million each accident/$1 million each disease
- Commercial General Liability
- $1 million each occurrence
- $2 million general aggregate
- Business Automobile Liability: owned, non-owned, and hired vehicles used in performance of work $1 million each accident
- Umbrella: $1 million per occurrence/aggregate with Employer’s Liability, Commercial General Liability, and Auto Liability underlying
State Fund has locations throughout California; suppliers who do business with us are expected to service all areas when necessary.
For information about our general procurement process please go to our Procurement Web page. To register online as a new supplier for State Fund, please click here.
We appreciate your interest in State Fund’s Supplier Diversity Initiative. If you have questions regarding this initiative, please email them to SupplierDiversity@scif.com.